Is it really only Tuesday?

It’s been a pretty rough week already. At 11 am yesterday, Bear B had a seizure. He went the remainder of the day without having another one, so we thought it was just a fluke and everything was going to be fine.

I was pretty exhausted yesterday because we hadn’t gotten to bed until after 6 am and then were awoken by Bear B’s seizure less than 5 hours later. I burned myself cooking dinner. There is a steam hole in the lid of my slow cooker, and I’d put it on backwards so the hole was right where I grab to lift the lid. I have an ugly burn in the palm of my hand near my thumb.


Later, I stabbed myself in the eyeball with the ear piece of my glasses. While all this was going on at home, my poor husband was having a rough day at work. He banged his head on the press, fell asleep on his lunch break, and dropped his phone in a mud puddle after work. The phone was ruined. Add the expense of a new phone we couldn’t afford that we had to go out an purchase today.

My husband and son get home from work around quarter after midnight. This has become our new dinner time. (crazy, I know) Around 1 am, not long after we had finished eating dinner, Bear B had another seizure. He settled down from that seizure, and we headed to bed around 230 am.

Around 3 o’clock, while we were still in a state somewhere between sleep and awake, he had another seizure. That one left him totally drained. He fell asleep pretty quickly once it was over. We fell back asleep, too. Then, there was another one at 6 am, another around 9 am and then a final one just before our alarm went off at noon.

By this time, it was obvious that his medicine (98.7 mg phenobarbital) is not working. I called the vet. They had an opening at 145 pm. We got ourselves ready, and my husband and I took him to the vet.

The vet is concerned that he may be suffering from some underlying disease that led to the seizures still happening despite the large amounts of barbiturates in his system. They drew a bunch of blood. They are checking his kidney and liver function. They are testing him for diabetes. They are also looking at his thyroid to see if it is the culprit.

For the moment, the vet has me giving Bear B an additional half a pill. This means his dosage is currently at 148.05 mg. The vet will call me on Thursday with the blood work results. He has given me a medication to look into. Something called Keppra. I haven’t looked into it, yet. I will do that after I finish with this post.

The vet says that the Keppra is actually safer for him than the phenobarbital, and that ultimately the goal may be to take him off the phenobarbital since it is no longer effective. I’ll know more in a few days.


Poor Bear B is exhausted. He’s struggling to keep his eyes open. He’s probably afraid to sleep because his seizures mostly happen when he is asleep. His bedding finally came out of the dryer (he’d urinated allover it during one of his seizures last night), and his girl made his bed up. He is now stretched across it sleeping. I’m sure the extra medication is helping with that.

I hope that everyone else is having a better week than we are.

Happy Valentine’s Day to you all.

I’m off to research that new medication and see if it’s a good option for us.


I love feedback. Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s